I will reveal startling signs and wonders in the sky above and mighty miracles on the earth below. Blood and fire and pillars of clouds will appear. Acts 2:19 TPT
Do UFOs exist? What are they? What does the Bible say about them?
A film, taken by a Navy ship and recently leaked, shows a UFO fly into the water. A navy pilot said that flight crews operating in restricted airspace off Virginia saw UFOs daily.
On “60 Minutes” a government official investigating UFOs said:
Imagine a technology that can do 600 to 700 g-forces, that can fly up to 13,000 miles an hour, that can evade radar and can fly through air and water and possibly space – and oh, by the way, has no obvious signs of propulsion, no wings, no control surfaces, and yet still defy the natural effects of earth’s gravity. That’s precisely what we are seeing.
Wow, and I thought I was getting faster on my bicycle.
What does the Bible say? Nothing and a lot.
No direct quotes about extraterrestrials or Unidentified Flying Objects. Some erratic scholars suggest that the vision of Ezekiel describing a metallic object with wheels is a UFO. But, a careful reading shows that Ezekiel is describing the movement of the “four living beings” that are also described in the book of Revelation (Ezekiel 1:4-19 and Revelation 4:6-8).
So, not much solid teaching on UFOs as the Bible focuses upon the earth, sin, and our salvation through Jesus.
The Bible does teach a lot to give us a framework:
- There will be strange events and occurrences that increase in intensity and frequency in the end time. This is alluded to in the Joel prophecy taught by the Apostle Peter in Acts 2 (Acts 2:17-21 and Joel 2).
- The entire universe is created by God (Genesis 1:1, John 1:3, and Colossians 1:16). So aliens, if they exist, were created by the same God that we serve.
- Whatever strange occurrence, we should not fear. God is in charge. God is not the author of confusion (James 1:16-17, 1 Corinthians 14:33, and 1 John 4:18).
There are several possible explanations.
The sightings could have demonic origins.
Another view is represented by C.S. Lewis, in his Space Trilogy. In the first book Out of the Silent Planet, his main character, a man named “Ransom,” flies to Mars where he finds that Earth is exiled from the rest of the universe.
Thus Out of the Silent Planet features Earth as the only planet in rebellion against God. Because Earth has sin, the rest of the universe is banned from contact to avoid infection.
This theory of C.S. Lewis would explain why UFOs watch and then avoid contact with humans.
In a sense, the universe version of the Centers for Disease Control has required all aliens visiting earth to wear masks!!!
The Bible also teaches:
- That there will be great deception in the end-times as many will want to believe anything.
- That any “being” or teaching from that “being” that does not confess Jesus as Lord has an “antichrist” origin (1 John 4:3).
- That Jesus invaded earth. He is still alien to many but doesn’t have to be! You can confess Him as Savior right now.
Okay, let’s go deep, really deep, for a moment. In an article by Christianity Today, published in 2019, Lucas J. Mix, an astrobiologist from Harvard, writes:
We want to talk about aliens as though there were “us” and “them.” I really think it’s a question of understanding more broadly and more deeply. Who is my neighbor? Astrobiology is part of this process of reaching out and understanding that even familiar life is more alien than we realize – and therefore alien life might be more familiar than we realize.
There are a lot of questions about strange happenings right now. It will continue.
I’m inquisitive. Some new neighbors moved in next door a couple of years ago. They keep to themselves. I am going to investigate and keep watch – as the astrobiologist from Harvard alludes:
Do you really know your neighbor, your spouse, or your co-worker? What is the cause of that behavior with the teenager next door?
Ultimately: faith, hope, and love till Jesus returns soon!