Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it (Hebrews 2:1, ESV).
One of my prayers, since I began following Jesus, is that I would stay faithful till I see Him face to face. I’ve watched a lot of fellow travelers stumble or walk completely away from faithfulness.
After 50 years of walking with Jesus, I want to share five reasons why I still follow Him:
- Jesus set me free from drugs and confusion when I accepted Him as my Lord and Savior. Someone with a testimony of the grace of God is never at a disadvantage versus someone with an argument against God’s existence or doubt about His goodness.
I will remember the deeds of the Lord (Psalm 77:11).
- Jesus taught me who I am. My identity is in Christ. Confusion about identity and gender reigns today – and by ourselves, we don’t have a standard to compare the good and the bad aspects of our true selves. Our lives then get tossed to and fro on an angry sea – today one thing and tomorrow another.
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him (1 John 3:1).
- I always find grace. No other religion, philosophy, or political agenda is founded upon grace. Grace withholds what we deserve, and instead, God sent Jesus for our sins. Grace is miraculous, enabling love of the lovable and even for those with whom we disagree.
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him, we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand (Romans 5:1-2).
- I experience the peace of God’s presence. Christianity is a relationship and not a mere religion! Undergirding all the teaching in the Bible is the simple fact that God loves us and want to call us into a Father/child relationship with Himself. Only by experiencing the presence of God can we find peace!
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all (2 Thessalonians 3:16).
- I have friends!!!! I have the type of personality that can shun others in judgment or drive them away with high expectations. I make too many demands upon myself and others, creating this miasmic attitude that has a wear-date on those who know me. They get tired of my dreams and visions.
People like me only because they first loved Jesus!
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful (1 Corinthians 13:4-5).
That’s it – my list of five reasons.
In my journal, every now and then, when I find myself frustrated or discouraged, I write a new list on why I follow Jesus. The list spans all 50 years of following Jesus.
This is today’s list. It will probably be different next year.
Why don’t you take the time to write your own list? And let us rejoice in His mercy.